Prince Charles has tested positive for coronavirus.
Clarence House confirmed that the 71-year-old heir to the throne was diagnosed with the COVID-19 disease during a statement released this morning.
The royal displayed “mild symptoms” on Sunday and was then tested on Monday, with the results coming through late on Tuesday night, the statement said.
Charles “otherwise remains in good health” and has been self-isolating in Scotland with the Duchess of Cornwall, who has tested negative for coronavirus.
“The Prince of Wales has tested positive for coronavirus,” the statement said.
“He has been displaying mild symptoms but otherwise remains in healthiness and has been performing from home throughout the previous couple of days as was common .
“The Duchess of Cornwall has also been tested but doesn’t have the virus. In accordance with government and medical advice, the Prince and therefore the Duchess are now self-isolating reception in Scotland.
“The tests were administered by the NHS in Aberdeenshire where they met the standards required for testing.
“It isn’t possible to determine from whom the Prince caught the virus due to the high number of engagements he administered in his public role during recent weeks.”
Prince Charles’ last public event was a reception and dinner in aid of the Australian bushfire relief effort on 12 March, which happened at mansion in London.
Earlier that day the Prince of Wales had attended an investiture ceremony at Buckingham Palace , where he greeted recipients with a non-contact gesture thanks to concerns about the spread of the illness.
Sky News’ royal correspondent Rhiannon Mills said that since then Charles features a “small number of meetings”, which all people he has inherit contact with are tested.
Doctors’ most conservative estimate is that he would are contagious since 13 March, she added.
He last met the Queen on the morning of 12 March and therefore the 93-year-old monarch is claimed to be in “good health” and following all appropriate health and safety advice.
Following Prince Charles’ diagnosis, Buckingham Palace said: “Her Majesty The Queen remains in healthiness .
“The Queen last saw the Prince of Wales briefly on 12 March and is following all the acceptable advice with reference to her welfare. we’ll not be commenting further.”
On 11 March, Charles attended a Prince’s Trust event in London and greeted celebrity guests without a handshake.
Among those he was seen meeting were Ant and Dec, actor Pierce Brosnan and Rolling Stones star Ronnie Wood.
On 10 March, Charles hosted a WaterAid summit at Clarence House to debate the impact of global climate change on access to beverage .
The event was also attended by Prince Albert of Monaco, who last week became the primary head of state confirmed to possess tested positive for coronavirus.
His health was described as “not worrying” and he was being treated by doctors from the Princess Grace Hospital, named after his US actress mother.
Albert is constant to figure from his headquarters within the palace and is in touch with members of his government.
The announcement that Charles has COVID-19 comes every week after the Queen and Philip moved to Windsor Castle before planned for the Easter period.
Following their arrival in Windsor, the monarch issued a message of solidarity to Britons worried about the disease, saying families round the UK were entering “a period of great concern and uncertainty”.
“We are all being advised to vary our normal routines and regular patterns of life for the greater good of the communities we sleep in and, especially , to guard the foremost vulnerable within them,” she said.
“At times like these, i’m reminded that our nation’s history has been forged by people and communities coming together to figure together , concentrating our combined efforts with attention on the common goal.
“We are enormously thankful for the expertise and commitment of our scientists, medical practitioners and emergency and public services; but now quite any time in our recent past, we all have a vitally important part to play as individuals – today and within the coming days, weeks and months.
“Many folks will got to find new ways of staying in-tuned with one another and ensuring that loved ones are safe. i’m certain we are up thereto challenge. you’ll be assured that my family and that i stand able to play our part.”
The UK has seen 424 deaths from coronavirus thus far , with quite 8,000 confirmed cases.
There were 89 deaths reported on Tuesday, which was the most important daily nationwide increase so far .
Prime Minister Boris Johnson has enforced a lockdown to undertake to slow the spread the disease, with people urged to not leave their homes unless absolutely necessary.
Britons should stay indoors unless they’re classed as key workers, like the emergency services, to shop for food and other vital supplies, and for exercise – but just one occasion per day.
Some confusion remains over the measures, however, with Mr Johnson facing increasing calls to intervene and stop non-essential construction workers heading to putting together sites during the pandemic.